(4) Strip any insulation from loose end of longwire
antenna. Connect loose end of longwire antenna to receiver's
ANT 1 or ANT 2 connector using appropriate adapter.
(5) Horizontal longwire antennas are directional and
usually work poorly when set up in line with the direction of
transmission. Change antenna position during operation if
necessary. The appropriate df antenna, hand held, may be used
2-5 illustrates the relationship between the position of the
antenna and the incoming radio signal direction. If possible, align
the longwire antenna perpendicular to the incoming radio signal.
(6) Figure 2-6 shows a typical field installation with
both longwire and whip antennas.
b. Direction Finding Operation.
Remove the antenna
pedestal from its carrying case and follow the instructions below
(refer to figure 1-6).
(1) Swing tripod assembly legs out as far as they will
go. Place tripod on firm level ground.
(2) Loosen upper tripod leg chucks. Extend tripod
legs to roughly level tripod. Tighten chucks. Final leveling will be