(1) First. Using the table of contents, determine the assembly group or subassembly group to which the item
belongs. This is necessary since figures are prepared for assembly groups and subassembly, and listings are
divided into the same groups.
(2) Second. Find the figure covering the assembly group or subassembly group to which the item belong.
(3) Third. Identify the item on the figure and not the item number,
(4) Fourth. Refer to the Repair Parts List for the figure to find the part number for the item number noted on
(5) Fifth. Refer to the Part Number Index to find the NSN, if assigned.
b. When National stock number or part number is known.
(1) First. Using the Index of National stock numbers and port numbers, find the pertinent National stock
number or part number. The NSN index is in National item identification number (NIIN) sequence (para 4a(1)). The
part numbers in the part number index are listed in ascending alphameric sequence (para 4b). Both indexes cross-
-reference you to the illustration figure and item number of the item you are looking for.
(2) Second. After finding the figure and item number, verify that the item is the one you're looking for, then
locate the item number in the repair parts list for the figure.