2-4. OPERATING PROCEDURES. (CONT)
Retransmit operations are accomplished using two complete radio sets coupled together
as a two-way relay station.
1. Turn on master power to the two radio sets to be used as a relay station.
2. Set mode control switch (1) on both control units to RETRAN.
Do not attempt retransmit operation with the SQUELCH controls set to DIS. Both controls
must be set to CARR or TONE.
3. Set SQUELCH mode selector switch (2) on both control units to either CARR or TONE.
To operate satisfactorily, the two radio sets must be tuned to frequencies at least 3 MHz
apart. When they are spaced greater than 8 feet apart, frequency spacing may be
4. Set frequency selector switches (3) on both control units to the respective frequencies of the
radio sets doing the communicating. These frequencies should be predetermined before flight
operation takes place.
5. If radio sets making up relay station are complete systems, check for proper operation by mon-
itoring relayed signals in headsets.
If radio sets making up relay station are complete systems, either radio set can be used
for two-way voice communication if provisions have been made for keying transmitter.
Transmitter power output should be selected, 1 watt or 10 watts, depending upon dis-
tance between relay station radio sets. This is a maintenance function which is accom-
plished by setting a switch on the front panel of receiver-transmitter.